Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Exercising Happiness (365)

Say to wisdom, "You are my sister," and call understanding your kinsman (Proverbs 7:4).

Scripture: Proverbs 7:1-5

My friend Nelson has a perpetual smile and always finds humor in the most difficult situations. You would think he's never known real sadness. But I know better. He has weathered a difficult childhood, a beloved wife who rejected God and him, and the inability to have his own children.

Yet Nelson understands that God wants him to be content in all circumstances. So he exercises being happy. Here's what I mean: He gets up in the morning and tells himself, "This is going to be a good day." It doesn't matter whether the dog chews up his best pair of shoes and wets on the carpet before Nelson gets out the door. It doesn't matter what the circumstances; Nelson will give thanks within it. (Wisdom tells Nelson that if he's not exercising happiness, then he will end up exercising sadness.)

When I think about Nelson, I realize that I walk through many of my days without exercising any kind of wisdom. But what a difference seeking the Lord's mind and heart can make.


Proverbs 7:1-5


1 My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee.
2 Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye.
3 Bind them upon thy fingers, write them upon the table of thine heart.
4 Say unto wisdom, Thou art my sister; and call understanding thy kinswoman:





This chapter puts into play the old saying "practice what you preach". Now the usual meaning of this saying is that our actions go along with what our mouths are speaking. But let's look at it a different way. It could be giving us a warning. Let's go with an example. If you are just starting to learn piano, and you do not practice, then you will loose your ability to play. The same goes for being a Christian. If we do not put into play what we read in God's word; if we do not exercise the fruits of the spirits; if we stop praying and listening to God; then Satan will find it very easy to take control of our lives. We will grow stale and slip back into our old ways of sin.  So, if we don't put into action what we learn in God's word or in everyday life (practice what we preach) then we will loose our abilities and our words will mean nothing. Matthew 7:20 says "Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them." People will know who we truly are by our actions. We can say what we want people to think is true, but it will be our actions and character throughout our daily lives that shows who we really are.

No comments: